Saturday, January 3, 2009

Inauguration Prep: Update 1

So I am truly starting this year off with a bang and I can't think of anything better than what I get to be a part of in two weeks time. I am going to be in Washington, D.C. later this month for the inauguration of the first black President of the United States. Not only is this one of the most historic events in this country's history, but I actually get to be a part of it!

Since I still don't have a full-time job I volunteered my services to Declare Yourself and their big event in D.C. on the 18th. My good friend Christie is a Program Manager for Declare Yourself and since I do have PR and red carpet experience, I get to help run the carpet and other parts of the event. And it will be a fantastic event...but I can't tell you any details and/or celebrities confirmed just yet. Stay posted!

Oh, and I'm not getting paid one penny to work it... but the experience will be payment enough!

So here are a couple things we're trying to prep for (aside from the Declare Yourself event).

First, of course, is accommodations. Even if there were hotel rooms left somewhere in the city, the cost is way above budget. So God bless my family for living in Virginia. Check that off the list.

Second, Christie and I have been working on finding the perfect gown for the ball - which we both managed to find today. Check that off the list.

Third, deciding which ball to go to. Do you realize how many unofficial balls there are? Of course the official ones are for the important people and cost way too much for our budgets. There's everything from a Green Ball to an Arab American Ball. Even a Change the Game Ball at the Sports Club LA. And of course all the different state balls. But right now there's about 3 on our list to decide between. Unfortunately the California Democrat Bash at the Smithsonian is the same day as our event...stupid California Dems!

So many more things to plan and I haven't even gotten the details for the Declare Yourself event. But at least I have the gown taken care of. Pheww!

Stay tuned for more updates...

No comments: