Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Better in 2009

Every year I make a new year resolution...which more often than not I break within the first two months. One year I made a resolution to drink more water. This was one resolution I managed to stick with but only because it might be the easiest resolution. But I'm realizing that even if I make the resolution to go to the gym (have just gone for the first time in almost 8 months this week), or the drink less (yeah right), or even to run a marathon (hahaha)...I know I won't keep any of them.

So I think it's not so much the resolution but how you start the new year off. And that's why I think I'm destined for something great to happen in 2009...because I'm starting it completely differently than any previous year.

How this New Years is different:

1. I'm single! 100% single! This is the first time in 7 years that I haven't had someone to kiss on New Years Eve. For a girl who has only had really one long-term serious relationship, I apparently always seem to be dating someone at New Years. This year I have no special someone to kiss - which leaves the door open to meeting someone new. I also don't have the stress of finding something spectacular to do because it's New Years Eve. Plan to work till 10pm and then will probably grab a bottle of champagne and let that be the end of it. Sounds fantastic!

2. I don't have a job I hate! Best birthday present I received this year was one I gave myself. I quit a job I was miserable in and although the economy has been cruel, I'm still so happy I did it. So that means that 2009 is going to bring me the job that I love and builds my career.

3. These days I choose to surround myself with positive people. People who don't feel the need to talk about you as soon as you turn your back. I was a miserable person for so long and realized a lot of it had to do with the people I surrounded myself with. People who are nothing but negative and snide bring nothing but a miserable attitude and existence to those around them. A better start to 2009 is that I know this now and won't have the drama that last New Years began with.

4. I'm thinner! About 5-10 pounds less than I was last year. Not sure really what that means...but I guess if I set a goal weight it would be easier to achieve this year :) Or it's probably just the female vanity of being thinner and healthier.

5. I'm a blond instead of brunette! I'm pretty sure this was the main jinx of last year! hahaha

How are you starting this year off?

Best of luck to all. Here's to a fantastic 2009!!

1 comment:

The Bowler said...

I agree, the momentum you have going into the year is huge part of the resolution. Last year it was weight for me, I lost 30 pounds by June, but in a bold Favreau-like move I gained it all back by Christmas. I think this year (other than exercise) I'm going to try to spend at least five hours a week doing something I haven't done in 2008. Yoga, painting, reading for pleasure (I know, I know), gardening, joining a sports league, etc. I figure that way I won't get bored with whatever I land on for that week. We'll see though. Hope you have a good NYE with your bottle of champagne!