Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Grab the bull by its horns

Have you ever had that moment where you realize everything you want to do you can do, if you just step up to bat and take a swing? Well I finally had that moment. Ever since the beginning of the year I've been wanting to start my own business - doing freelance work in publicity, social media and events. I spent the better part of early 2010 debating what to call this company. My mom and I were looking into legally obtaining names, setting up a website, business cards, etc. But then it just fell off. Not sure if I got too busy with my event season coming up or just lazy…maybe both.

Well, about a month ago I was talking with my mom and told her that I really did want to create the business. I had just been offered the Slamdance publicity gig again and felt it was time to "step up to bat." I decided to simply go with my own name, but a personal name that only family refers to me by…Megan Ashley. And that was that. First base done and now rounding second.

Within two weeks I purchased the domain, built a website and established Megan Ashley PR, for which I'm very proud of. But all it took was me just grabbing the bull by its horns and going for it. And within the past couple weeks I've managed to pick up two additional clients…well yes, they are friend clients but their business and my work is legit.

I don't understand why I keep doubting myself because throughout my entire life if I've put my mind to something, not only have I accomplished it but I have far exceeded my expectations. Whether it be sports, school, or my career, I've never faltered. I just had to put my mind and heart in it. So here's to a great future for Megan Ashley PR!

No comments: