Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Apparently not every man loves football

Last night I rushed home from work to watch Monday Night Football with my 49ers playing the defending Superbowl Champs, the Saints. I wore my Joe Montana #16 jersey all day and was still wearing it when I stopped in Ralph's to grab a bottle of wine before watching the rest of the game at home.

As I'm standing in the Express checkout line and waiting for the slowest woman to pay and grab her groceries (of course not understanding the whole concept of an "Express Lane"), the guy loading his stuff on the conveyor belt behind me says out of nowhere, "The Giants lost this week didn't they?"

I kindly responded, "This is a 49ers jersey and they're playing tonight." Here's how the rest of the conversation played out...

"Oh so they lost."

"No, it's only the end of the first quarter. Sadly we're down 9-0."

"Oh, I thought they only played football on Sundays and Mondays, not the middle of the week."

"Well, today is Monday and they're playing Monday Night Football."

"Do they play football on Fridays or Saturdays?"

"No, not usually. Sometimes they play on Thursdays, but usually only Sundays and Monday night."

"So the 49ers are 0-2 already, huh?"

"No they're 0-1. This is the second game of the season. They won their three preseason games."

"It's only their second game? I thought it was at least the third week."

"Well this is the last game of second week play. The games this Sunday will count as the third week of play."

"And who's playing tonight?"

"The Niners and Saints"

"Ok. I just got hired to do a production on the football league and don't know anything about it at all."

"Well that's not good. You should start following ESPN."

"Yeah. Well
thanks, you just saved me 15 minutes of searching on the Internet tonight when I get home."

OH MY GOD!!

How is it that I know more about football than a guy? Come on! And there is no way this was a flirtation attempt because no man would actually play dumb about football. I literally could not be more dumbfounded than I was last night. Also how does someone get hired to do a film production about a sport they have no clue about? Only in Hollywood I tell you...only in Hollywood.

No comments: