Friday, October 1, 2010

Time to get serious

It's time for me to get serious about something. Blogs are meant to vent and give a personal point of view, like my football post. But after this week's tragedy of events because of bullying and hatred I'm taking a strong position on the recent suicides by gay youth.

As a girl who grew up in one of the most liberal cities in the world and brought up by parents who raised me to respect every human being for who they are as an individual and not what others deem them to be, I'm absolutely heartbroken that a Rutgers student would kill himself after being outed! Haven't we learned anything as a society since Matthew Shepard? Have we not learned anything as a society of the effect peer bullying has? How many more tragedies need to happen for us to get a clue and do something about it?!

Hatred is nothing but ignorance. And I'm sick and tired of being from a place where ignorance seems to lead the way of American society!

I was bullied as a kid. I went home crying every single day in 7th grade and it has effected my self-esteem even to this day. I can't even imagine the type of bullying that goes on today and to gay youth. It's time for school boards, principals, and teachers to STOP looking the other way and just saying it's part of growing up...it's not! 

Taking a cue from SU2C...it's time to STAND UP to violence! STAND UP to ignorance! STAND UP to hatred!

No comments: