Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Childhood Dreams

I can't claim to be the only female in Los Angeles stuck in the Hollywood Bubble...for there are many. Proof are these lovely ladies to the left (and to my right in the photo)...none of them are actresses or struggling actresses. One is a dentist, another works for a high class jeweler and another is project manager for an online political non-profit. I'll let you guess which is which.

Don't get me wrong about people out there trying to fulfill their long life dream of becoming an actor. My roommate is a struggling actress, attends acting class weekly and works at a restaurant to pay the bills. I know she wants it...but my bigger question if she wants the profession or the lifestyle?

It is a fun and outrageous lifestyle sometimes - I have celeb friends and have done some pretty amazing things with them...because of them. But I know I could never live my life that way. I want the 9am - 6pm job. I want my weekends free to do errands, go out with friends and watch Sunday football. I want to have a 401K and health insurance. I want security. I want the plan I've had set in my mind since high school...go to college, get a good job, move up the ladder, get married, have kids, and then juggle soccer practices and ballet recitals with a full-time job. I want that challenge.

So what do the actors see as their plan? When do they settle down and have kids? Do they ever settle down and have kids? I have friends in their mid-30s that are still trying to make it - they're single and nothing has changed in their behavior as a member of the male species since they were the horny boys in college. What were their dreams? Their lifelong plan? Partying till the wee hours of the morning, snorting and doing God knows what, starving themselves to ignore that extra 10 pounds the camera adds, and then of course ignoring the big ego they've conjured?

I don't understand it and definitely would never wish for it. But this is the large percentage of people in LA...and one of the ways I'm constantly stuck within this Hollywood Bubble...it's all around me wherever I go. But these lovely ladies (and their handsome career men) allow me to break the bubble if even for a few hours where we sit and talk about a long day at work, the project due on Monday morning and the wedding plans at The London.

Call me what you want but I like being that girl.

1 comment:

ChristieM said...

I think those actors have dreams similar to yours, they're just waiting to get the job or career going before they get to move onto the soccer games and ballet practices. Until then they have a prolonged college lifestyle.

Look at Angelina Jolie, she dipped into the crazy lifestyle while she was young, then developed a great career, and now (according to Showbiz Tonigh ;) ) wants to quit acting to be a full time mom.

For all those struggling to reach their Hollywood dreams, the ones who really want to act will act, even if its just in community plays. And I think the ones who just want the lifestyle will find another "profession" to support that life

Love the blog :)