Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Insufficient Funds

Rock 'n Roll Ralph's is one of my favorite places. Why it's more special than any other Ralph's I don't know but I think everyone else who shops there feels the same way. After spending about 30 minutes in the store trying to figure out what to eat, pausing in the middle of the aisles to text Keith, and a good 10 minutes in the beer aisle trying to figure out what kind to get (ultimately deciding on Shiner Bock referred by my proud Texan friend Keith) I finally headed to the check out stand.

With milk, sushi and beer (I know...30 minutes and that's what I came up with) my total rang in at $22.83. Swiped my debit card and waited for authorization...and then got the dreaded phrase across the screen "Not Authorized." Thinking there was some mistake I went to the ATM and got an even worse message "Insufficient Funds"...ugh!! As a 26 year-old jobless (well full-time PR) girl living in LA during a crappy economy, this is the phrase I fear the most.

Not only is my stomach in knots because I just realized I don't have enough money even for milk, it's so embarrassing to be in the checkout line and have to ask the checker to cancel the sale and put all the food back.

"Hey everyone, look at the pathetic girl in line that can't even buy milk!"

Last night was not pleasant.

Fast forward to this afternoon...I was lucky enough to land a temporary gig this week with a movie production company as an assistant and to take charge of the company's PR. My amazing boss wrote me a check for my hours thus far and an advance on the rest of the week so I could deposit money into my account.

Can I just say how AWESOME it was buying lunch today :) Something so small we often take for granted. Let's just hope this job turns into something permanent so I can buy milk when I need it!

No comments: