Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Every year I get older, but it gets clearer

With my birthday just last week I started to reflect on the past year. And what a hellish year it has been! On August 19, 2009, I went through the hardest and most painful (physically and emotionally) experience of my life. It was a challenge that I thought I'd easily be able to overcome with the vast support system I had...or so I thought I had. What should have been a private struggle was all of a sudden made public by "acquaintances" and on top of it I lost part of the support system I thought I had.

But looking back it seems to have been a blessing. Because my family is still by side just as much today as they were August 19th. My best friends home in San Francisco, they're still there the same way they were a year ago. And the people who do matter are still by my side, just holding up that support system with a few less pairs of hands.

It's getting clearer every year why when we're 20 we have so many great/best friends. So many that you have a different group of friends to do something with for every night of the week or more. But when you get closer to 30 you look at the people you've surrounded yourself with and it's a much smaller number. The people who you'd throw a punch for in a bar even if you've never raised a fist your entire life. The people who you don't have to say anything to for them to understand. The people you can sit in a room with in complete silence and conversation isn't necessary because you already get each other.

I'm so grateful for the people I have in my life on August 19, 2010 because they, in essence, complete me.

Love to that "family"...you know who you are.

No comments: