Friday, August 13, 2010

Home is where the heart is

Anyone who has met me knows that I'm a proud, born and raised San Franciscan. Grew up in the city and could never think of any other place better in the world. I grew up sailing on the bay, went to high school in the old Flood Mansion in Pacific Heights, and loved biking through Crissy Field and the Marina Greens every weekend.

For the past six years since my mom moved the the suburbs, every time I would drive into the city I would get this excitement that would run through my entire body knowing that I was headed to "my city". Fogged in or on a clear day, it was like a kid going to Disneyland.

But yesterday when I drove into San Francisco, the first time since Christmas, no such feeling came over me. It was just an emptiness. It's such a depressing feeling to realize I've lost that. Now it just seems to be a city I used to live in.

But LA definitely doesn't feel like home either. They say "home is where the heart is"…well apparently my heart doesn't reside in San Francisco anymore. Not really sure where home is now.

No comments: