Friday, August 6, 2010

It took a Canadian for me to see LA

Last week I had a very special guest come to LA for a week’s visit. Planning ahead of time, I took two days off work to spend with him and show him part of LA as he’s never been here before. What’s amazing is that most of what we saw in LA was the first time for me, too.

Yamashiro


Set on the top of a hill in Hollywood, Yamashiro not only has great food but an amazing view. A table for two overlooking LA as the sun went down…well you can’t beat that. It’s only a 5 minute drive from my apartment and I had never been there…shame on me. Then again I haven't had anyone to have a romantic dinner with in a while.



The Getty Villa

I had been to the Getty Center before, which I loved, but had always wanted to visit the Getty Villa in Malibu to see the architecture – which is absolutely beautiful! While some may go for the art the Villa houses, I strictly went for the columns, alcoves, gardens and views. A secret love affair with ancient Rome and Greece all my life, this place was perfect! The only thing I was disappointed with is that I thought we'd be able to tour the home itself. Not the case. I was only able to admire from afar.



Griffith Observatory (at night)

You know how some people never cross east or west of the 405? Well I seem to never cross east of Vine, where lies Los Feliz, Silverlake and the famous Griffith Observatory. Nothing against it, I just always feel my life pulls me west. But I was excited to see it finally. You literally can see from Pasadena, to downtown, and all the way to Century City. It's quite incredible. I also was a total nerd heading up there a night because it still reminds me of "The Rocketeer". Chad made fun of me but come on…one of the best movies ever! :) I definitely need to go back during the day, see more of the views and go on a hike.

LA Galaxy Game

Chad is from Canada which means he loves hockey. But apparently they love soccer…I mean football…up there, too. So on Sunday we took the 1 hour trip down to the Home Depot Center in Carson to see the LA Galaxy play Chicago...which sadly they lost. I love soccer, played it as a kid, and used to go to the USA Women’s National Team games at Stanford all the time. But I know why even Beckham couldn’t improve the attendance…it’s too damn far from the hub of Los Angeles. If they moved the team up closer to downtown, I, and I'm sure many others, would definitely go to more games. But if you are going to make me sit in horrendous LA traffic and you can’t offer tailgating…well then I’m not signing up.


The end result...I guess I need to give this city a little more credit. There are some hidden gems all around. I just haven't found most of them yet, or I just didn't have the right person to share them with.

No comments: